This is an All-American cowboy style chili spice blend. It is intended for ground or diced beef, pork, chicken or turkey, with or without the beans. You could even cook up a vegetarian version with beans, zucchini, yellow squash, corn, onions and peppers!
- 1 pound of ground beef, pork, chicken, turkey or large dice of zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, onions and corn
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons of American Chili Seasoning (ground or left in flake form)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
- 1 can pinto or red kidney beans (drained) (15 oz..)
- 1 cup of water or beer (the better the beer the more flavor, but don’t use a seasonal beer that will throw off the flavors)
1) Heat a medium size sauce pan to meat high. Add the cooking oil to the pan and add the ground meat. Lightly brown the ground meat completely.
2) Add the American Chili Seasoning into the pan with the meat and stir to coat the meat. Sauté for 15 seconds.
Figure 1. Browning the ground beef with American Chili Seasoning.
3) Immediately add the tomatoes, if you choose, the beans and the water or beer.
Figure 2. Adding the crushed tomatoes and red beans.
4) Simmer for 1 hour covered. Figure 3. Add some water to maintain some liquid in the pot, as desired. Some people like their chili a little thick and some like it a little soupier.